This updated & expanded edition includes a more comprehensive science & technology section for geothermal students / trainees and installers, and savvy homeowners.
- Geothermal system options: open loop vs. closed earth loops; either horizontal or vertical, for water-to-water or water-to-air HVAC systems.
- The importance of finding a qualified contractor.
- Important money concerns: costs, tax credits, payback time, increased home values.
- Who is using geothermal energy, including the author's firsthand experiences and Earth Smart Home profiles from around the country.
- How solar electricity can be used to power the system, plus other future trends.
- Understanding the basic principles of heat pumps and how super-efficiencies are achieved.
- Performance standards, ratings and warranties.
- Careers: joining the geothermal industry.
- Comprehensive appendix with numerous resources.